Friday, November 21, 2014

Coconut Chana Saag



 This was excellent and my hubby who does not usually go for curry dishes went back for seconds! I did use the full fat coconut milk ;-)  I got the idea from\ Isa does it cookbook. I did change a few things--but her cookbook is great. Check your library and then buy a copy! I left out a few of her spices so check her book for the original.

1 teaspoon of coconut oil
1 medium yellow onion chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or sliced
2 tab of fresh minced ginger (not sure how much I used)
1-2 tab of mild curry powder (I used a bit over 1)
1/2 tspsalt and black pepper (you can add more at end)
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1    24 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1     15 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (you can use more if you like)
8    ounces of Kale (can sub spinach but need more, or collards but they take more time)
14   ounces of coconut milk
(2 tab of fresh lime juice--I didn't have any and it turned out great)

basmati rice --serve the curry over some rice

Preheat 4 qt or larger pot---cook onion in oil for 5-7 minutes--light browned.  Add garlic and ginger--till fragrant about 30 secs.  Add the curry, salt, pepper, garam masala, cumin and toss to coat onions--cook a couple minutes.

Add the tomatoes, and chickpeas.  Mix well, cover and simmer about 5 minutes. Add the Kale and cook it until desired texture----it depends on the Kale.  Some kinds of Kale cook quicker--I had a tougher kind and it took at least 15 minutes and maybe 20.  Remove from heat and add coconut milk.  Stir well and let sit for ten minutes to let the flavors blend and get cool enough to eat!  Serve over rice.



No comments: