Thursday, October 22, 2009

Curried Rice with vegetables (and raisins)

This is from Esselstyn's book on Prevent and Reverse heart disease. My Son and I love this, but my hubby does not like curry dishes. So I have to do something else for him or cook some separately for him. This is easy to prepare. I doubled it and doubled it makes about 6 servings. However I will give it not doubled.

1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 & 1/2 cup vegetable broth (use gluten free---many have gluten)
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tab orange zest (about what you get from 1 thin skinned orange)
1 & 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 & 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 large bell pepper any color, seeded and chopped (1 cup)--I used red and orange
1 medium onion chopped (3/4 cup)
1/4 cup raisins
chopped parsley or cilantro
1 fresh mango or peach chopped (I used some canned peaches--he says you can substitute mango chutney)

1. Put rice, broth, Orange juice, zest, curry powder, cumin, pepper, and onion in a rice cooker or covered pot and cook about 40 minutes, until rice is done.

2. Add raisins when rice is just cooked. Stir and let stand a few minutes so raisins plump up.

3. Add parsley. Serve topped with chopped mango or peach or eat as is with steamed broccoli or greens.

No comments: