PHOTO PROBLEM

Photos MAY BE temporarily down due to photobucket probems!! SORRY

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Curried Rice with vegetables (and raisins)

This is from Esselstyn's book on Prevent and Reverse heart disease. My Son and I love this, but my hubby does not like curry dishes. So I have to do something else for him or cook some separately for him. This is easy to prepare. I doubled it and doubled it makes about 6 servings. However I will give it not doubled.

1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 & 1/2 cup vegetable broth (use gluten free---many have gluten)
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tab orange zest (about what you get from 1 thin skinned orange)
1 & 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 & 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 large bell pepper any color, seeded and chopped (1 cup)--I used red and orange
1 medium onion chopped (3/4 cup)
1/4 cup raisins
chopped parsley or cilantro
1 fresh mango or peach chopped (I used some canned peaches--he says you can substitute mango chutney)

1. Put rice, broth, Orange juice, zest, curry powder, cumin, pepper, and onion in a rice cooker or covered pot and cook about 40 minutes, until rice is done.

2. Add raisins when rice is just cooked. Stir and let stand a few minutes so raisins plump up.

3. Add parsley. Serve topped with chopped mango or peach or eat as is with steamed broccoli or greens.

No comments: