Tuesday, March 17, 2009

hummus and falafel




For the hummus:


2 cups of garbanzo beans
2-3 tab. of tahini
2-3 heaping tsp. of minced garlic
juice from one lemon (I might want more next time)
some cumin, red pepper, sea salt, vegetable magic, onion powder, chili powder (all to taste)
1 tab of olive oil (I would like to add less next time to reduce fat)
water


mix in my food processor adding enough water and seasoning to get the taste and consistency I desire.


Falafel:


I found this mix in Charleston, at Saffrons. I love the seasonings in this. I mix, set it aside for one hour in the frig, then make into golf sized balls and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes--turning once after ten minutes. Great with hummus or just plain as a snack or in pita with cukes, tomatoes , lettuce etc. The web address of the manufacture is http://www.tarazifoods.com/
2 oz of the falafel has 12 g protein--main ingredients are fava beans and garbanzo beans.
About.com also has different recipes for falafel from scratch--such as this one:


15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon coriander
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour (I use cornstarch or Bob's all purpose gluten free flour) sometimes Iuse more
I also like cilantro and ground cayenne red pepper
You just chop the ingredients in a food processor--I add the chickpeas last and don't over process.
PS--When making fresh they take longer to bake.--more like 14 minutes on a side---it depends on how large you make them and if you want them crusty.
But I ESPECIALLY LIKE THIS FALAFEL RECIPE IF I HAVE TO MAKE IT FROM SCRATCH:

No comments: