Wednesday, August 7, 2013

red lentil chili



very good dish. It makes about 6 servings  --it is also great served over Pasta

Ingredients:

2 ounces of dates  and these other ingredients below



This is from forks over knives here I ended up using about3 or 3 1/2 cups of dried lentils since I didn't know how much made a pound . I used a red and green bell pepper. I used 3 tablespoons of the vinegar, I forgot the parsley, I used a bit less on the chili, I only had regular paprika and used less, I didn't use the chipotle or red pepper flakes.  --here are the directions they gave:

Instructions:
Blend the dates in one cup of the water until smooth. Place all remaining ingredients in an electric pressure cooker and cook on high for 10 minutes. Alternatively, place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. Sprinkle with chopped scallions and serve with baked tortilla chips or over a baked potato. (However, I cooked mine on top of the stove for 2 1/2 hours---next time I will try the crock--I had it too low on the stove top so it took long! )
*I like to use the food processor so it’s almost a puree.
Faux Parmesan
Makes 1½ cups
Ingredients:
• 1 cup raw almonds or cashews or walnuts
• ½ cup nutritional yeast
• 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning (I prefer Benson’s Table Tasty)
Instructions:
In a food processor fitted with the “S” blade or in a blender, combine all ingredients until a powdery texture is achieved. If you like it chunkier, process less.
Chef’s Note: You can also use store bought almond flour in place of the almonds. We use this on everything from air popped popcorn to potatoes to steamed veggies and as a topping on chili and soups.

PS--I like this over macaroni---and I think I prefer the regular paprika best, but the smoked paprika is a nice change up too

No comments: