Friday, November 1, 2013

Pumpkin soup with lentils




 I love this refreshing and different soup


I found this recipe in Better Homes and Garden Oct 2013. I like more lentils then they called for and I like the red lentils.

1 small sweet onion , cut in wedges or whatever
1 yellow sweet pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 cup lentils, rinsed and well drained (I used at least 1 cup of RED lentils)
1 tab olive oil (I omitted and used just a bit of water )
2 tsp grated fresh ginger (I used some dried ground ginger -- I probably used 1/2 -1 tsp
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 26 oz box chicken stock (I used 2 cans 15 oz each chicken broth)

In a 4-5 quart Dutch oven cook onion, sweet pepper and lentils in hot oil over med-heat for 2 minutes. [I just cooked the onion and pepper in a bit of water for 5 min or so then added the lentils and followed the rest of the directions]. Whisk in ginger, curry powder, cumin , broth or stock and pumpkin puree. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to med-low. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. [this depends a lot on the lentils ---I have some that need about 45 min to 60 min!] Season with salt and pepper before serving. Makes 4 servings---good also served over brown jasmine rice.
1  15 oz can pumpkin puree

No comments: