Monday, July 11, 2011

Burrito Casserole

This is not the best picture, but this was a very tasty dish and easy to make. Plus there is an advantage in that you can make it ahead. We did not use the cheese called for and it was still fantastic. I found this is family circle mag--

6 servings

Assemble up to 2 days ahead and refrigerate. Leave out on counter for 15 minutes before putting in oven. (I microwaved mine a bit after taking out from the refrigerator).

2 packages (8.8 ounces each) fully cooked brown rice (I used around 4 to 5 cups of cooked brown rice
I didn't have these packages and was unsure how much to use.
1 jar (15 1/2 ounce salsa) _I used mild
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 can (15 ounce) refried beans
1 package (10 ounce) frozen corn, thawed
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (I used chili powder)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 and 1/2 cups shredded reduced fat taco cheese blend (I OMITTED)
2 packages (10 ounce each ) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (I used less and just put it in semi thawed--I did have to cook it longer)
3 tab chopped cilantro if desired

1. In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa, and oregano.
2. In second bwol combine refried beans, corn, chile powder and cumin.
3. Coat a 12 by 8 by 2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (I USED A 2 QUART CASSEROLE DISH)
4.Spread half the rice mixture evenly in dish. Layer refried bean mixture and half the cheese (if using) over rice. Scatter spinach over cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and cheese (if using).
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days or cook uncovered right away.
6. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered for 35 minutes or until internal temperature gets to around 140 degrees. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.

No comments: