Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake



Man, this smells so good when it is cooking! Easy enough for kids to make too. I like this gluten free as well. When I make a gluten free version I use the gf yellow cake mix . For the GF version I use less of many ingredients. See note at end.


Yield: 10 to 12 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 (20 ounces) can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 (21 ounces) can prepared more fruit cherry pie filling
  • 1 (18.25 ounces) box yellow cake mix
  • 2 sticks (1 cup or 16 Tablespoons) of butter or margarine, each cut into 12 slices OR MORE
  • 1/4-t o one cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, pistachios, cashews, peanuts, etc., your choice
  • 1 cup coconut flakes
Preheat oven to 350
In a 9 by 13 pan:
Place cherry pie filling in bottom of pan spreading it over it. Place pineapple on top including juice.
Sprinkle the DRY cake mix evenly over the fruit. Slice up the butter into thin slices and cover the dry cake mix---I sliced it thin so it covered over the entire pan.  Sprinkle if desired with nuts and coconut. Bake for about one hour until it is done and bubbles (the fruit) up a bit> I did cover mine about 45 min into it so the coconut would not get too brown. This is very good just with the coconut without the nuts.
NOTE--for GF I use a 7 by 12 inch pan. I place the cherry pie filling in and then the crushed pineapple (I used a smaller can--it is a mid sized can) . I sprinkled it with 1/2 the GF yellow cake mix and then used only part of one stick of butter. I sprinkled it with coconut. I cooked it until it started getting light brown on the edges. It took less time--then the above one.

No comments: