Wednesday, January 2, 2013

spaghetti squash microwaved and saute


;;

I copied this from recipe below from steamy kitchen (except what is in parenthesis  --see link below the recipe. I love this because it only takes 11 to 14 minutes in the microwave and then you saute it for a few minutes with the other ingredients--delicious and easy for lunch! (mine took about 13 minutes in the microwave) and then 3 minutes on stove top.[note: this usually works in the microwave for me. But I have found a couple of exceptions.  Sometimes the outer skin is to hard to pierce with a fork. I have also had a few unripe squash where it did not cook up well. you can opt to bake it in the oven at 375-400 degrees for 45 or 50 minutes but this means you have to slice in in 1/2 or in several sections spritz with oil and bake cut side up. It can be hard to cut]

If you don't know what spaghetti squash looks like here is a photo (below)I found online:


If you want detailed photos on how to do you can go to the link I give at the end of this recipe.
I like my spaghetti squash not too hard, not too soft. It shouldn't be mushy, you should be able to still separate the strands of squash.

ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tomatoes, chopped
few basil leaves, chopped (since store was out--I substituted basil pesto)
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese (I used basil pesto which has cheese in it)

directions:

1. Using a sharp paring knife, carefully pierce (I really mean stab) the spaghetti squash in a few places (about 6 slashes is good). Microwave on high for 10-12 minutes, turning/rotating the squash halfway during cooking. A fork should very easily pierce through the squash, if there is resistance - microwave for an additional 1-2 minutes.
2. Let squash cool for a few minutes before handling. Carefully (the squash will be steaming hot!), use a chef's knife to cut the squash in half, lengthwise. The squash should be soft and easy to cut. Remove and discard the seeds. Use two forks to scrape apart the strands of the squash. Compost or discard the skin.(Note--I cooked mine and then placed in the frig while I ran an errand for an hour--perfect for handling when I got back).
3. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat with the olive oil. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes and basil and cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat to medium-high and add in the spaghetti squash and toss. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle in the balsamic vinegar. Taste the squash - adjust seasoning and if the squash still needs a bit more time to cook through, cover and cook for 2 minutes. If the squash texture is perfect, toss in the grated cheese and serve immediately.

No comments: