Saturday, June 1, 2013

South Carolina slaw from June 2013 Southern Living



I really like this and the dijon adds some fire.

1/2 head thinly sliced cabbage (about 1 lb)
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 apple without skin chopped

{Place those three in a bowl}

Whisk together 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp kosher salt (I omit)
1/2 tsp black pepper

It says to bring these whisked ingredients to a boil until sugar dissolves and pour over the cabbage carrot mix and serve.

However , I altered some of the amounts on the whisked ingredients and I did not heat them. Honey can be used too instead of sugar--just experiment. I let it all sit in frig for a while. It was very tasty.

Another slaw dressing we like:

Another dressing:
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds 
2 tablespoons maple syrup 
2 tablespoons low sodium gf tamari 
Bit of water

No comments: