Friday, June 11, 2010

Berry Apple Crisp





I found this recipe here: http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com/ I really love all of the berries in here. The only thing I changed was I added a little blue agave to sweeten a bit and used a tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken the juices (this may not be necessary if your berries and apples don't produce too much juice. I cut the butter part in half because of fat content--it would be better with the whole amount.....but it still works


Red Fruit Crumble*
Serves 4


"4 eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped
300g tin of summer fruits in syrup
(I used 1 tea mug of blueberries, 1 tea mug of raspberries, 1 tea mug of strawberries, along with the juice of one orange (ditto)
and a bit of sugar--I used blue agave instead of sugar)
4 ounces butter (1/2 cup) (I used 4 TBS of special spread-would be better with a whole 1/2 cup)
2 ounces light muscovado sugar (1/3 cup) (I used brown sugar)
5 ounces porridge oats (2 1/2 cups) (Use gluten free oats by Bob if you want the GF)
ready made custard, ice cream or cream to serve


Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/Gas mark 5. Place all of the fruit into a large saucepan along with the juice from the orange and a bit of sugar. (If using the tinned fruit add the tin of fruit, undrained) Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the apples are cooked, stirring occasionally. This should take 12 to 15 minutes. Pour this mixture into a shallow gratin dish.

Melt the butter and then stir in the muscovado sugar and the porridge oats. Mix together well and then spoon this over top of the fruit in the dish.

Bake for 20 minutes, until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling. Serve warm with some custard, ice cream or cream"

1 comment:

Holly Lefevre said...

I am always up for a good dessert (kind of my problem!). This is delicious. Thank you for sharing your substitutions.