PHOTO PROBLEM

Photos MAY BE temporarily down due to photobucket probems!! SORRY

Friday, July 10, 2009

Hoppin' John Salad (southern living)

Good served on top of fresh lettuce leaves (romaine) and with taco chips
I enjoyed this , but I did add some cukes to the recipe and some white wine vinegar--I think I might like the dressing I used on the brussel sprout salad so I am going to add this to the bottom of this recipe to experiment with next time.
Makes 8 servings (for us more like 4-5) Prep ten minutes; cook--30 minutes; chill -2 hours


1/2 cup uncooked long -grain rice (I juste used brown rice and added whatever I wanted)
2 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
2 tsp. salt, divided (I just did to taste)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil (I used less)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (I used a banana pepper and a jalapeno salsa)
1 garlic clove pressed (I used a rounded tsp)
1/4 tsp pepper (I used freshly ground to taste)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup loosely paked fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves , chopped (I only had dried--just sprinkled some in)
(fresh thyme is good in this too)
I added 1/2 of a large cucumber , chopped
I sprinkled some white wine vinegar to taste (see below for optional addition)


1. Prepare rice. Meanwhile, cook peas and 1 tsp salt in water to cover in a large saucepan over medium high heat, stirring often, 30 minutes or until tender; drain.

2. Whisk together lemon juice, next 4 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Stir in peas, rie, celery, parsley , and mint until blended. Cover and chill 2 hours. Season with salt to taste.

Optional dressing addition:

1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp honey Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcester sauce (I used a gluten free)
1/2 tsp salt (I didn't use this much--might have used a pinch or nothing)
1/2 tsp basil (I just used some fresh basil--about 2-3 leaves)
1/4 tsp crushed dried thyme (I used fresh--several sprigs)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Your recipes all look wonderful and sound delicious! I'm definitely going to become a follower!

Thank you for the nice comment you left for me.
Hope your weekend goes well.
-Bill

~Robin said...

thanks for sharing another good one - gives me inspiration to break from my own cooing rut!