Friday, July 10, 2009

Hoppin' John Salad (southern living)

Good served on top of fresh lettuce leaves (romaine) and with taco chips
I enjoyed this , but I did add some cukes to the recipe and some white wine vinegar--I think I might like the dressing I used on the brussel sprout salad so I am going to add this to the bottom of this recipe to experiment with next time.
Makes 8 servings (for us more like 4-5) Prep ten minutes; cook--30 minutes; chill -2 hours


1/2 cup uncooked long -grain rice (I juste used brown rice and added whatever I wanted)
2 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
2 tsp. salt, divided (I just did to taste)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil (I used less)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (I used a banana pepper and a jalapeno salsa)
1 garlic clove pressed (I used a rounded tsp)
1/4 tsp pepper (I used freshly ground to taste)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup loosely paked fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves , chopped (I only had dried--just sprinkled some in)
(fresh thyme is good in this too)
I added 1/2 of a large cucumber , chopped
I sprinkled some white wine vinegar to taste (see below for optional addition)


1. Prepare rice. Meanwhile, cook peas and 1 tsp salt in water to cover in a large saucepan over medium high heat, stirring often, 30 minutes or until tender; drain.

2. Whisk together lemon juice, next 4 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Stir in peas, rie, celery, parsley , and mint until blended. Cover and chill 2 hours. Season with salt to taste.

Optional dressing addition:

1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp honey Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcester sauce (I used a gluten free)
1/2 tsp salt (I didn't use this much--might have used a pinch or nothing)
1/2 tsp basil (I just used some fresh basil--about 2-3 leaves)
1/4 tsp crushed dried thyme (I used fresh--several sprigs)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Your recipes all look wonderful and sound delicious! I'm definitely going to become a follower!

Thank you for the nice comment you left for me.
Hope your weekend goes well.
-Bill

Robin said...

thanks for sharing another good one - gives me inspiration to break from my own cooing rut!