Saturday, November 10, 2007

Country Coq Au Vin

This was a very delicious meal. We loved it. I found it at Penny's blog http://lavenderhillstudio.blogspot.com/ I want to remember I made it using this Chicken Stock--it is gluten free. I used my iron dutch oven. Preheated oven 350 degrees. Then in my dutch oven sauteed 1/2 pound of bacon (I used the thick bacon). Set aside.

Saute 4 skinless chicken thighs with the bone bone in. Saute both sides in bacon grease and sprinkle them with pepper. Remove (keeping them warm).

Saute the next 5 ingredients (roughly chopped)--saute about 5 minutes until tender:
Saute 1 shallot (I used a 1/2 of a small onion)
2cloves garlic
6-8 mushrooms
sprig of rosemary
1/4 pound of frozen small white onions (I substituted a glass jar of small white onions---I didn't saute these--just added them later. (remove from pan)


Place the sauteed Chicken in the pot. Cover the chicken with the sauteed items including the pearl onions. Add 1/2 cup dry white wine and 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Cover pan with oven proof lid--place in 350 degree oven and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour until tender. Remove thighs--mix 2-3 tsp cornstarch with 1/2 cup of cold stock. Then add this to pan and thicken. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice. Sprinkle with the bacon. I served it on smashed red potatoes that had been cooked chopped with skins left on--very good.


I served this with homemade applesauce--see post below.

1 comment:

Chip said...

That looks tasty. I tried the beef stew-like thing you posted earlier. I loved it, but Sarah didn't care for it as much. I might try it with some red-potatos next time.