Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Chili or soup Cornmeal Topper

You can use this to make a whole covering or as a topper. I like the crunchy corn taste with the thick soup. You break it up to eat it.

1/2 cup all purpose flour (for gluten free I used brown rice flour and added 1 tsp Xanthan gum)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tab butter, melted (I used olive oil)
3-4 tab. milk (I used soy milk--but needed more)

In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir in butter and enough milk to form a ball. ON a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12 in circle . Using an inverted 10 oz baking dish as a guide, score four circles. Cut them out. Cut a small circle in the center of each pastry. Each pastry will cover a 10 oz baking dish of chili or thick soup. Since I was experimenting with the substitutions I just patted a disc with my hands and placed on the soup. I cooked it at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

No comments: