Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Amazing 18 hour white whole wheat bread



This is a very easy bread. Don't let the 18 hours fool you!! I am gluten free and CAN'T eat this so my hubby will have to tell me how it tastes. Note--hubby loves it but the salt was too much so next time I will try reducing the salt. I found it in Family Circle Feb edition. Plus this recipe takes small amounts of yeast so happy on the budget. Plus there is no oil added.You do have to have a dutch oven however. It uses White Whole Wheat Flour like King Arthur Flour . Don't know about White Whole Wheat? This is what King Arthur Flour states:

"Milled from white whole wheat, rather than red, unbleached King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour has all the fiber and nutrition of traditional whole wheat, with milder flavor and lighter color. Thus, white whole wheat is a great way to add whole grains to your family's diet. Start by replacing 1/3 of the all-purpose flour in your favorite recipe with white whole wheat flour...."

Makes one 1 &1/2 pound loaf (about 12 slices). Prep 15 minutes (this is total time including all steps!). Rise 20 hours Bake 450 for 40 minutes (mine cooked in about 25 minutes! perhaps because I used cast iron?)

3 cups white whole wheat flour (such as King Arthur flour), plus flour for dusting
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast (amazing isn't it!)
2 & 3/4 teaspoons salt (this is way too much salt) try 1 tsp next time
1 &1/2 teaspoons sugar ( my hubby told me it needs more sugar so I will experiment with more)
1 &1/2 cups water, at room temperature
1 tablespoon white vinegar

1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Add water and vinegar and stir just until ball of dough forms . Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 18 hours.



2. Place a large piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place dough on a lightly floured work surface; knead for 10 seconds.(that is right! only ten seconds--the long rise is why)/ Form into ball by pulling edges into middle. Place dough, seam-side down, on parchment paper; coat with nonstick spray and cover with plastic wrap. (hmm, I didn't see this part and I placed it back in the corningwear and covered the top with plastic--my hubby will have to tell me if it dried it out at all). Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours or until it's doubled in size.

3. About 30 minutes before dough is ready. place a 6 to 8 quart Dutch Oven with lid on oven rack and heat oven to 500 degrees F.

4. Lightly flour dough on parchment. Carefully remove pot from oven; uncover. Using parchment paper to lift dough place both the parchment and dough into pot. Cover pot, return to oven and lower temperature to 450 degrees.

5. Bake bread covered with lid, for 30 minutes ( me 15 to 20 ), then remove lid and continue to bake another 15 minutes or until bread is browned (me 5 minutes). Carefully remove bread from pot to a wire rack and cool. Mine may have been faster because I used cast iron--not sure!



per slice 120 calories; 1/2 g fat (0 sat.); 4 g protein; 24 g carb; 4 g fiber; 530 mg sodium; o mg cholesterol.

Note here is another recipe which uses regular white flour [I will try this today Jan 2014 and may post at a later date--it is about the same but uses less salt, no sugar and no vinegar  http://www.simplysogood.com/2013/03/artisan-no-knead-bread.html

2 comments:

Lisa said...

There is nothing like homemade bread! The smell is absolutely amazing! I'm on The South Beach Diet now so no bread for me.:( When I shed a few pounds, I'll have to treat myself with a slice of this! LOL!

Signing Out said...

I can't eat bread yet, as I am on a yeast-free diet. However, I'll have to try this when I come off the diet.