Sunday, February 3, 2013

lemon braised Chicken tenders and cauliflower (better homes recipe)



This was delicious. It was from Feb 2013 Better Homes and Gardens, but I changed a few things. My version served about 6 while their version about 4.

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 lb frozen chicken breast tenderloins (8-10 pieces) I used fresh and probably had more pieces!
1/2 cauliflower cut into florets (about 2 cups). I had more (probably 3 cups)
5 cloves of garlic, slivered
1 tsp snipped fresh thyme (I used dried--not sure how much)
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth (I used more--
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel (I omitted)
2 cups fresh packaged baby spinach (I used some frozen --it is all I had--I used less and it was good)
1/4 cup bias-slice green onion (I didn't have)
1/3 cup pimento -stuffed green olives (or more)
1/3 cup pitted dates, coarsely shopped
1/4 cup pistachio nuts coarsely chopped (I didn't have)
salt and pepper
cooked rice or pasta!!!
parmesan is nice with this too!

I added:
oil packed sun dried tomatoes (as much as you like)
frozen garden peas (almost cooked--about 2/3 cup)


1. Preheat oven 375 F. In a Dutch oven (or very large iron skillet--you will need a cover or foil for the top later when placing on the oven ) heat oil over medium high heat. Add frozen tenders (mine were not frozen and they still came out just fine). Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side OR until golden brown (they will cook more later in recipe too). Transfer to a plate.

2. To the same Dutch oven add onion and cauliflower. Cook 2 minutes until lightly browned __MINE took longer and I wanted the cauliflower not to be hard. Add sundried tomatoes with some of the oil if using).Add garlic, thyme and 1/4 tsp salt and cracked black  pepper. Cook 30 seconds more.  Add lemon juice. Stir , scraping up brown bits in bottom of pan. Return chicken to Dutch oven.  Add chicken broth and lemon peel (if using peel). If using frozen spinach add at this time. Bring to boiling.  cover and transfer to oven. (cook your peas if using them )

3. Bake ten minutes or LONGER until the chicken is no longer pink (around 170).  Add fresh spinach now if using fresh and green onion. Add mostly cooked peas if using them. Cover and let stand 2 minutes to slightly wilt spinach.

4. In a small bowl combine olives, dates and pistachios. Spoon chicken mixture over rice and top with olive mixture.

Note--they say if you use fresh or thawed chicken to brown it but not to return it to dutch oven in step 2. Proceed as above, baking ten to 12 minutes. Return chicken to dutch oven when you add fresh spinach and green onion. HOWEVER--I followed the regular directions and needed to otherwise my chicken wouldn't be done!  So do what works for you.

1 comment:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This ounds really delicious! I love combinations meat and veggies recipes suhc as this as they are time saving and good!