Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Quick stove top Ratatouille vegan (family circle)


I found this recipe in my family mag. It is nice because it is stove top and cooks in 30 minutes. I served it on polenta , but I think I will try the left overs on pasta and see which I like best!


serve on polenta--below is herbed polenta



Makes 4 servings
2 tab of olive oil (I used less in my pan)
1 medium onion , diced in 3/4-inch pieces
2 clove garlic minced
1 eggplant (1 pound--I used little kind), diced into 3/4 inch pieces
1 red pepper, diced 3/4 inch pieces
1 can (14.5 ounce) fire roasted tomatoes, drained (I only had puree
2 zucchini (1 lb) diced 3/4 inch pieces
1 tsp fresh thyme (I used some dried thyme--a bit less)
1 can cannellini beans (15 oz)drained and rinsed (me-northern beans)
1/4 cup parsley, chopped (I was out)
3/4 teas salt or to taste
1/4 teas pepper
Polenta (optional)

1. Heat oil in large, lidded nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic, eggplant, red pepper; cover and cook for ten minutes. Mix in tomatoes, zucchini and thyme, cover again and cook for 12 minutes (I did less)
2. Stir in beans, parsley, salt and pepper and heat through.

serve with Polenta if desired. Here is the recipe for the polelnta

4 1/4 cups water
1 cup polenta (I USED THE HODGSON MILL'S YELLOW CORNMEAL or Bob's cornmeal medium)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons chopped basil
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley(I had none)
2 teaspoons chopped oregano
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary

Bring the water to a boil in the cooker. Stirring, sprinkle the polenta into the water. Add the garlic, salt, bay leaf, half of the basil and parsley, the oregano and rosemary. (I JUST COOKED ON TOP OF THE STOVE FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES ) stirring a bit off and on uncovered. 



No comments: