Friday, August 1, 2008

crock pot greek chicken





This was a different but good dish. We served it on rice. You could also serve it on mashed potatoes . I think next time I will omit the red wine vinegar--if you like tartness you can add it. This dish had an interesting flavor because of the Greek seasoning. My store didn't have it so I used the one below from a cooking website.


1 14 1/2 oz can of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp of classico sundried tomato pesto (pictured above) --OPTIONAL
1/8 tsp of garlic powder
1 zucchini squash
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tab of Greek seasoning (recipe below)
1 Tab of red wine vinegar (I think I will omit next time).
1 or 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs

Ingredients for 1/4 cup of Greek seasoning. The recipe above only uses 1 Tab. of this:

1tsp salt
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cornstarch
(can add 1 tsp beef bullion granules)--I didn't use this last item

Place chicken in crock pot. Saute onions and squash lightly and add to the pot. Mix the tomatoes, pesto, garlic powder, Greek seasoning (1 tab only), red wine vinegar. Cook on high for 2 hours and then low for another 1 or 2 hours. (mine looked done after 2 hours on high, but we put it on low for 2 more hours--great)

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Katherine Lent said...

Interesting dish. has a lot of flavors that I like, might add mushrooms too. I will try this!