Thursday, June 12, 2008

Creamy Black Bean Soup

I will have to add a picture the next time I make this--I forgot. This is from Southern Living June--I altered it a bit. Love it. Makes 16 cups, prep 15 min-cook 30 min or in crock.

1 medium onion , diced (about 1 cup)
1 tsp. minced garlic (or more)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 cups undrained Black Beans
1 (32 oz) container Chicken broth
2 (4.5 0z) cans chopped green chiles, undrained (I found a can that was 6 something oz I think
and used just that)
1 (14.5 oz) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes undrained (my store had none--I used chili style)
1 (14.5 oz ) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (11 oz) can whole kernel corn , rinsed and drained (I use reg. sized and the white corn)
2 Tbsp. chili powder-I reduced to 1 since I was going to leave in my crock pot--still very spicy
1 tsp ground cumin--I used MORE

Toppings if desired: sour cream shredded Cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, fresh chop cilantro or taco chips

1. Saute onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp hot oil in a dutch oven over med high heat 6 min or til tender. Stir in Black Beans and next 7 ingred. cover , bring to boil and simmer 15 min stirring occasionally. (I just threw mine in crock pot for a few hours)
2. Process 2 cups of soup in blender or food processor 30 sec or til smooth. Return and mix with soup.

(also good with an extra can of beans and some rice)

1 comment:

Kimmie said...

Mmm...this sounds great. Spicy too! Yum!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted