Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Italian sauce with chickpeas served on pasta



I was listening to some program and came across this recipe. I don't know who it was but the guy said he had this dish as a kid. The garlic gives it a real punch of flavor and we really liked this dish. A fast dish!

1 large can of plum tomatoes--I used the fire roasted tomatoes and they were already crushed (around 26 ounces)
3-5 garlic cloves sliced up
salt
pepper
2 bay leaves
pinch of sugar
fresh basil for the very end (I was out and I used some basil pesto I had on hand)
1-2 cans of drained garbonzo (chickpeas) beans --I used 1 can
olive oil
parmesian cheese if desired
a rolled shell like pasta (we used some fusillini we had on hand instead)

Saute the garlic in a bit of oil until the garlic starts to brown a bit. Add the tomatoes (if using plum tomatoes you need to mash them up). Add the salt, pepper, 2 bay leaves and a pinch of sugar. Add the chickpeas. Let all simmer together while you cook the pasta.

Meanwhile cook the pasta. Drain .  Serve the sauce over the pasta mixing it up nicely. Add basil and cheese.

No comments: