Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lima Bean Soup



This picture doesn't show it, but you add milk before serving. You can use regular milk, or 1/2 and 1/2 or soymilk, almond milk etc. This was found in a little book put out by Taste of Home. I did some changes which I will note. One of my FAVORITES

3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each ) chicken broth. (I just used a quart since that is all I had--you could sub vegetable broth to make it vegan or Chickpea broth)

2 cans (15 ounce each) lima beans , rinsed and drained. (I used frozen baby limas and some butter peas)
3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 small sweet red peppers, chopped (I also used a bit of roasted red peppers)
2 small onions, chopped
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter (I omitted)
1-1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
12 tsp dried oregano
1 cup half and half cream (I used almond milk -not shown in the picture)
3 bacon strips, ooked and crumbled (I just used a bit of liquid smoke--about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)

Combine first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-35 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add milk; heat through but do not boil. Sprinkle with bacon just before serving or use liquid smoke. Makes 3 quarts

No comments: