Saturday, March 13, 2010

veggies and hummus (good snacking)




This makes a quick easy , healthy snack--so just wanted to remind myself!! I also like slices of red bell pepper and green bell pepper on the tray.

For the hummus (no oil)

15 ounces (2 cups) chickpeas already cooked(save the cooking water if cooking your own)
3 tsp garlic minced (and extra for middle of hummus)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
lemon zest ( 1/2 tsp or so)
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons or so water or the cooking water or vegetable stock
1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar (optional--but I like the taste it adds)
salsa or picante sauce if desired
OPTIONAL: some jarred roasted red bell peppers --you can process this right in.
Also optional is some red ground cayenne pepper
Also optional is some turmeric for anti-cancer fighting.

In food processor process the chickpeas, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and as much liquid to make a nice smooth humus. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add optional ingredients mentioned if desired.I like to place a bunch of extra minced garlic in the middle of the humus so those who want more garlic can get it. I also like some salsa in the side of the bowl so I can get both when dipping the veggies.

Ps. If you don't mind added oil --can add Tahina--even 1 tsp gives it a nicer flavor. If you like it creamier add a bit more water and place in blender after doing it in food processor.

2 comments:

Ellen (Gluten Free Diva) said...

This looks delish. I love simple snacks, especially when they're fat free! Thanks for sharing! I'm a new Essselstyn fan.

nannykim said...

Ellen--I wish I could stick to the Esselstyn way of eating. I find I feel better, however, if I eat a bit of fish and chicken during the week--otherwise I am always starving. I tried vegan only for a year---and even eating great amounts I was still hungry. Part of this may be because I need to be gluten free--may be wheat fills more.