Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sweet and sour chicken and rice

I literally found most of this recipe on a piece of paper in my yard as a piece of Litter---so I should say litterally ;-)! OF COURSE I had to try this providencial recipe!!
We have chicken every so often. I love it when I find something easy and gluten free. This recipe was on a piece of paper in my yard! COOOOOOL.



1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 pounds skinned and boned chicken thighs
vegetable cooking spray
1 small onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (I used large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup uncooked long grain rice or wild rice (I used basmati rice)
1 cup sweet and sour dressing (see below for recipe I used)
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup wine (I used a white wine--by Alice White called Lexia. Australian)
1 cup silvered almonds
2 green onions, chopped (add at end)


Sweet and Sour sauce Recipe:

3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup white wine vinegar(I used rice vinegar)
1/4 cup soy or Terriyaki sauce (used La Choy since it is gluten Free--used Teriyaki
1 Tab ketsup
2 tab cornstarch

Cook the above ingredients for sweet and sour sauce in a pot--boil until thickens


Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over chicken
Brown chicken in Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

ADD onion and bell pepper, and garllic to Dutch oven; saute 5 minutes. Add rice; saute 2 minutes or until rice looks golden. Stir in dressing or sweet sour sauce, broth and wine. Add chicken and almonds, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and chicken is done. Sprinkle with green onions. (says serves 8 , but not in my family--more like 5).

No comments: