Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Vegetarian stuffed cabbage




This is what it looks like before cooking. HOWEVER I FORGOT ONE OF THE INGREDIENTS!!!

THIS ABOVE IS THE FILLING AND IT IS SO YUMMY THAT I KEPT EATING IT AND FORGOT TO ADD THE RICE THAT IS CALLED FOR IN THE RECIPE!!!

I THINK THIS IS SO YUMMY BY ITSELF. IT WOULD BE GOOD JUST MIXED UP WITH COOKED CHOPPED CABBAGE AND RICE with or without the tomato sauce AND WOULD SAVE TIME TOO. LIKE I HAVE SAID, I FORGOT THE RICE!!! I OMITTED THE ANISE SINCE I DON'T USUALLY LIKE THAT FLAVOR.

FOUND THE BASIC RECIPE FROM MYMOMMYMAKESIT (BUT SHE USED CHARD).

Cook one cup of rice in two cups of stock or water (NEXT TIME I WILL NOT FORGET!)

Finely chop and saute until soft

1/2 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 jalepeno pepper(I substituted a chopped red radish since I had no jalapeƱo--this was good!
1 bell pepper
1/4 cup of mushrooms
1/4 cup of carrot

Lightly brown
1 1/2 cups cooked lentils (I USED RED LENTILS--THE ARE GOOD FOR THIS PURPOSE AND COOK IN 15 MINUTES AND ARE MORE TENDER)

Add to this
1/2 tsp of allspice powder
2 ground star anise pods (ME--OMIT)
1/4 cup of golden raisins (I might want a bit more--I love these)
1/4 cup of toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley or dill
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl and set aside

Remove the thick stalk/stem from CABBAGE leaves
Steam each one until just wilted (ME ABOUT 5 MINUTES)
Blot dry with a paper towel and set aside

Place one leaf on a flat surface

Sppon 2 TBSPS of filling onto the center of the leaf

Bring the tip and tail of the leaf over the filling, then one side, roll, tuck under the other side, and place "seam" side down into large buttered baking dish

Repeat with the other chard leaves

Combine 1 cup of spaghetti or tomato sauce with 1 cup of stock (I MIGHT WANT A BIT OF VINEGAR NEXT TIME SINCE I LIKE IT A LITTLE MORE TART BUT SPRINKLING WITH BALSAMIC VINEGAR WHEN SERVING IS GREAT TOO)

Pour over you rolls until they are just barely covered with liquid

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour (I covered mine--but hers may not have been covered --look at her link)

Garnish with fresh lemon juice (OR SPRINKLE WITH BALSAMIC VINEGAR IF DESIRED)

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a nice green salad.

1 comment:

Robin said...

oh! and this is just the idea i needed for my huge head of cabbage-thanks for another winner!!