Thursday, August 26, 2010

Special Fried Rice (from 1,000 vegetarian recipes)






This is a good quick dish especially if you have 2 cups of left over rice. I have never used cucumbers in a str fry.....or cucumbers cooked.....but I really like this dish. It is full of veggies and I got it from a huge cook book called, 1,000 vegetarian recipes from around the world.
I used my very large iron skillet for this recipe, but you can use a wok too.

Frozen ginger in a bag is an easy way to always have ginger fresh and waiting for a dish. You grate it frozen and it is very easy this way. I ADDED ginger to this dish--it was not in the original recipe. Ps another similar dish is this :
:http://nannykimsrecipes.blogspot.com/2012/05/carolina-japanese-style-rice.html

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked long grain rice (I used brown rice) or you can use 2- 3 cups of cooked rice
1/2 cup cashew nuts
1 carrot
1/2 cucumber (I used 3/4)
1 yellow bell pepper
2 scallions (I used a smallish onion)
2 tbs of oil (I didn't need this in my iron skillet--just pam)
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 cup frozen peas (they say thawed--you don't have to thaw)
1 tbs soy sauce (or more if you like)
1 tsp salt (not necessary if you use more of the soy sauce)
cilantro leaves to garnish if desired
Ginger shredded and added to taste

1. Cook rice

2. Heat pan and add cashews and dry-fry, stirring constantly until lightly browned. REMOVE from the pan and SET ASIDE.

3. Cut the carrot in 1/2 along the length, then slice thinly into semi-circles. Halve the cucumber and remove the seeds using a teaspoon, then dice the flesh. Seed and slice the bell pepper and chop the scallians or onion.

4 Heat oil if using in the pan and add the carrot, cucumber and bell pepper and onion. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Add the rice, peas, soy-sauce and ginger. Continue cooking just until everything is mixed well and warm.

5. Add the reserved cashew nuts. Serve and garnish with cilantro if desired.

No comments: