Monday, May 16, 2011
Eggplant Ratatouille on pasta (CROCK POT version)
Showed here with GLUTEN FREE pasta
This is WAY BETTER THAN IT LOOKS--This is a great eggplant dish...we couldn't stop eating it. It makes 6 servings or more if using pasta. This is from June Family Circle 2011.
Slow cook in crock pot 3 hours on high or 5 hours on low (I did longer because I was out).
1 small eggplant (about 1 pound). Mine may have been bigger. Peeled and cut into
1/2 inch cubes.
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 medium sized red onion, chopped
2 medium sized sweet green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 package (10 ounces) mushrooms , cleaned and quartered OR I used jarred baby
button mushrooms and added them right at the end just before serving.
1 can (14 & 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes--DRAINED
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper (BE CAREFUL I used 1/2 tsp and it was HOT--I
liked it but more would have been too much for me)
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 medium size yellow squash (I USED GREEN ZUCCHINI) quarted and cut into 3/4 inch
After cooking add:
1 tab fresh chopped Basil (and if using jarred mushrooms add here too)
Olive oil for drizzling
red wine (I like this drizzled over too--using dry red)
1. Place eggplant in strainer and sprinkle with 1/8 tsp salt; let stand for 20 minutes and press out as much liquid as possible.
2. While eggplant is draining in a 4-5 qt slow cooker, combine onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms (if using fresh mushrooms).. (you can add the squash during the last 45 minutes of cooking or if this isn't convenient then throw it in her as I did) Drain diced tomatoes and stir in along with tomato sauce, black pepper and Italian seasoning.
3. Add eggplant and stir. Cook on high 3 hours or low 5 hours.
4. Add squash to slow cooker for last 45 minutes if you haven't already added it.
5. Before serving stir in basil and some extra salt (to taste). Drizzle with olive oil and/or dry red wine if desired.
Serve on pasta as I did OR not!