Monday, December 2, 2013

Turkey Soup / with or without noodles
















Turkey soup with noodles added/ for my hubby a



I am having it without the noodles. Both ways are nice. I made the stock as follows. Early in the day:

For the Stock:

Turkey carcass (This is what is left after eating most of the meat. But I did included a wing with the meat and a leg with the meat too)
5-8 cups of water (depending on how big the carcass is etc)
3-4 celery stocks chopped
3 carrots-chopped
a pinch of ground cloves
a bay leaf
1/4 tsp of dried sage (more or less according to taste)
salt and pepper (according to taste)
dried thyme (anywhere from 1 to 2 tsp)
small onion chopped

Note--on the seasonings it is up to how you like it.  Add all of these into a large pot and simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours or two hours.  Using a large slotted serving spoon (the kind with holes) remove the solids setting them to cool a bit on a cookie sheet.  Meanwhile place the broth through a sieve or strainer. I then refrigerate the broth [this makes it easier to skim the fat off later]. I chop up any of the meat and veggies  and place them in a separate container to cool. Throw out the bones, skin, and things you wont' be using.

About 1 hour or so before serving ,skim any fat off the top of the broth and discard the fat. Heat the broth. Add some fresh vegetables of your choice [you will add the ones you cooked earlier at the end]. For the fresh new ones,I used:

chunky carrots
chunks of celery
onion (I hadn't used any in the broth so I added some here)--chopped
cauliflower

I simmered these until done--about 20 minutes or so. Then I added

The meat and veggies I had strained out earlier {I like adding these veggies since they have full flavor from cooking in the broth] and I added

frozen baby peas

I heated these for just a minute and let it sit while I made a salad. They get warm just by sitting in the hot broth and the peas are nicely done without further cooking. I made noodles on the side for my husband and son to add to theirs since I am going grain free for a few months.

No comments: