Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vegetable Focaccia (like Veggie Pizza)

I love this. I made the above with a gluten free pizza crust , but I am going to give the regular one below---this is from an old Light and Tasty Magazine April/May 2003.

2 to 2 and 1/4 cups of Bread Flour
1 package of quick-rise yeast (Bread Maker yeast 2 and 1/4 tsp)
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 Tab olive oil

Topping:

3 plum tomatoes chopped or sliced (I like more)
5 medium fresh chopped mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup sliced (not chopped) black olives
1/4 cup chopped onion (I like more)
3 Tab olive oil (I use less because of calories)
2 tsp red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
3/4 tsp salt (I use less)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp cornmeal to sprinkle in pan

In Bowl combine 2 cups flour, yeast, salt. Add water and oil--Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic --about 4 minutes. Cover and let rest 15 minutes. Meanwhile in bowl combine tomatoes, mushrooms, green pepper, olives, onion, oil, vinegar and seasonings.

Coat a 15 by 10 by 1 inch Baking pan (I used a non-stick one). Spray with oil and sprinkle with cornmeal. Press dough into pan. Prick generously with fork. Bake 450 for 5 min or until very lightly browned (I don't brown it--I let it brown with the veggies--I do cook for 5 min). Cover with the vegetable mixture. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until edges of crust are golden or light brown.

No comments: