Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lentil with kidney bean chili (crock pot)

This was pretty good--a nice little change up for a chili and it makes a big pot in my crock pot.

2 (28 ounce each) cans of diced tomatoes
2 (15 ounce each) cans of red kidney beans rinsed and drained
2 large green bell peppers, chopped
1 large onion chopped
2 cups dry red lentils or brown (I always use brown because I can't get reds in my area)
1 to 2 tablespoons of chili powder (I start with the lesser amount and add more if needed)
1 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
3-4 cups of water

In large crock pot place tomaotes including their liquid. Add 3-4 cups of water, the drained kidney beans, green peppers, onions, dry lentils, chili, garlic. Turn pot on low and cook 6 hours on low and then 2 hours on high or until lentils are done. I believe it is less time for red lentils. Add water if it gets too thick. During the last 30 minutes add the tomaot sauce and the tomato paste. Add the Worcestershire sauce just before serving (more or less to taste).

You can serve this with cheese or vegan cheese mixed in and crumbled tacos on top if desired.

1 comment:

Raquel Byrnes said...

This sounds so awesome! I'm going to try it.