We liked this and it is great left over and in sandwiches. We served this with mashed white potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes and string beans. This was very tasty and we used BQ sauce--the Kraft Honey kind which made it fantastic (yes it has high fructose corn syrup...can't find any locally without it). My son thought, "ribs baking, it can't be! " ha. Mine did not come out loaf like--I may have had a bit more water from the cooking in mine--but I liked it because it was very moist and full of flavor.
This is also good on linguine --hmmm barbecue linguine--the best of both worlds ?
1 1/2 cups dry uncooked lentils, rinsed (NOTE: RED LENTILS WORK MUCH BETTER IN THIS -because they are so mashable)(DRAIN WELL after cooking)
2 medium onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
6 mushrooms, chopped
veg water or water (or dry wine for saute)
2 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped (you can use some well drained cooked frozen)
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes (better to DRAIN off the liquid)OR I PREFER USING JUST 1 CUP OF FIRE ROASTED CRUSHED MUIR TOMATOES INSTEAD .
2 cups brown rice,(this means 2 cups of cooked rice--not 2 cups of raw rice) (I ALSO LIKE USING A WILD RICE BROWN RICE MIX
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp Mrs. Dash's garlic and herb seasoning blend
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 cup of barbecue sauce or ketchup (I think the bq sauce makes this dish--I like extra sauce too when serving) (iF using ketchup --I like adding a bit of brown sugar and a bit of Worcestershire sauce to it)
I added Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (after cooking lentils) . Cook lentils in amount of water called for and then drain well before mashing if using the red lentils. If using the harder type lentils (ie brown) you may need to use a little liquid.
2. Stir-fry onions and mushrooms in broth, or water or wine. After they soften add spinach and cook covered until the spinach wilts.
3. Add onions and mushrooms, tomatoes, rice, garlic, sage, Mrs. Dash, and marjoram to lentils.
4. Press into a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan and spread with barbecue sauce on top. NOTE: This recipe actually makes enough for the 9 by 5 and another smaller pan.
5. Bake 45-60 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes, or linguine or in a sandwich or however.