Thursday, April 16, 2009

Baked Herbed Rice served with Ratatouille




We had herbed rice over which we served some ratatouille and added bit of soy sauce (in individual portions). It was very good and the house smelled wonderful too. I found the recipe for the rice from vegweb however I was using a different recipe for the amounts for the rice. I used-- brown rice 1 1/2 cups rice and 2 3/4 to 3 cup water and I happened to use minced dry onion and fresh herbs. {also I cooked it at 365---I then found out I had left part of the water out so I had to add it and then a bit more!! so the more accurate amount may be the one below--however I like having more Rice and it did work fine when added the water that I had forgotten plus a bit more. Also I ended cooking it 70 plus minutes.

Baked Herbed Rice from vegweb.com

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

2 1/2 cups water (I used more--see above)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup brown rice (I used more-see above)
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 finely chopped parsley
1 minced green onion (I used dried minced onion--but fresh would be good)
2 table spoons olive oil (I just did a few spritz or squirts of olive oil)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. (I did 375)

Prepare a baking dish with the olive oil. Add green onion and bake until golden. I just used the minced dried onion and threw it in with the herbs.

Add the thyme, parsley, and sage. Sprinkle the pepper and salt. Add the rice and water. Stir in the garlic powder. Bake covered for 40-50 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Serves: 4-6
Preparation time: 60 minutes

For the ratatouille:

I just cut up some yellow summer squash, 2 zucchini squash, a red bell pepper, a green bell pepper, an onion, a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes, a small broccoli crown some fresh basil , fresh oregano and 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary and 3-4 cloves of minced garlic some sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I spritzed it with a tiny amount of olive oil, and then I sprinkled it with balsamic vinegar. Baked it at about 425 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.

We add some soy sauce to each individual serving---putting the rice in the serving bowls and topping with the ratatouille and soy sauce.

No comments: