Friday, December 18, 2020

Pasta Fagioli


 Pictured above is the sauce--you add your pasta to this. Since I have to be GF we add the pasta separately.  Note--I should have cut my carrots smaller.  I found this at Clara's kitchen---a book that describes eating in the Great Depression.


Ingredients:

5 tablespoons of olive oil (I don't use this much for my iron skillet)

1 clove garlic (me--minced)

1 yellow onion (me-chopped)

2 cups of tomato sauce (I like marinara)

3 and 1/2 cups of water 

1 carrot chopped

1 celery stalk with leaves chopped

2 cups canned white beans (me-Cannelloni beans)

2 chicken bouillon cubes (or envelopes)

1 large basil leave (I just used some dried basil if I don't have it)

1 pound small dry pasta (like the tiny shells) I sometimes use GF Rotini)

1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley--I used dried and not as much

Pecarino Romano cheese

She adds 2 dried red peperoncini, crouched---I omit since I can't have them ;-)


Directions:

saute onion and garlic until carmalized about 5-7 minutes. (I actually add the garlic after the onion is about done.

Add tomato sauce, water, carrots, celery , cannelloni beans and bullion cubes, basil, and peperoncini if using. Cover with a slight venting and cook over medium heat for at least 35 minutes or until your carrot and celery is tender. 

Add the beans.

Meanwhile cook your pasta.Then add it to the sauce when done and let it sit a few minutes.Top with the cheese and parsley.

No comments: