Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Warm Lentil and Potato Salad (Southern Living recipe)



I found this in October 2012 Southern Living. I was supposed to use green lentils but I had some smaller than usual brown ones which worked fine.

1 (28 oz ) package small red potatoes , halved
1/2 cup dried French green lentils (I used a very small Mexican type brown lentil)
5 bacon slices (I did not use these , but I am sure it would be yummy) I used some liquid smoke.
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 large shallots, finely chopped (I used some green onions and some purple (red) onion)
1 rib celery , sliced
2 garlic cloves
2-3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp whole grain Dijon mustard (I used honey mustard)
1 & 1/2 cups loosely packed parsley
Liquid smoke (I added about 1/4 tsp of this since I was not using bacon)
salt and pepper to taste

Cook lentils in some water until done (they said 4 cups salted water).  Cook 20-30 minutes or until just tender and then drain--you do not want them mushy.

meanwhile cook potatoes in salted water, covered. Cook abour 15 minutes. Drain lentils and potatoes.

cook bacon if using--until crisp.Remove bacon leaving drippings in pan.

using reserve bacon drippings (if using) add oil--saute shallots, celery, and garlic for about 3 minutes . Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and mustard and a bit of liquid smoke if not using the bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in lentils , potatoes, bacon and parsley.

No comments: