Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Crockpot (slow-cooker) marinara sauce



My husband really liked this and so did I--a nice flavor. I found it in Fix-It and Forget-It lightly. This recipe was from Dorothy VanDeest Memphis, Tn.


2 (28 oz each) cans of low-sodium whole tomatoes (I used Italian Plum tomatoes)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, pared and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped (I used 2-3)
2 Tab vegetable oil (I just used a touch of olive oil)
1 Tab brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt (I used sea salt)
1 tsp of dried oregano (this was my addition)
a pinch of dried basil (my addition)

1. Puree tomatoes in blender or food processor. (I don't like to over do this step--depends on what kind of consistency you want)

2. In a skillet saute onions, carrots, and garlic in oil until tender. Do not brown. (I used my food processor to chop these up before cooking)

3. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Stir well. Cook 6-10 hours on low.
4. Remove cover. Stir well.
5. Cook on high uncovered for 1 hour for a thicker marinara sauce.I failed to see this last direction--it was good just the way mine cooked up....but if you want it thicker do this---it may vary with your individual cooker ;-)

No comments: