Thursday, June 26, 2008

Creole Fried Rice from Southern Living

This was very tasty!

1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (I used brown rice)
2 cups chicken broth
1 lb. skinned and boned chicken thighs
1 1/2 tsp Creole seasoning, divided (I probably used more)
2 tbsp. veg oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 lb. andouille or smoked sausage sliced (I used 1 lb smoked turkey sausage)
1/2 small onion (I used 1 and 1/3 onion) chopped
1/2 small green bell pepper chopped (I used a whole large one)
2 garlic cloves , chopped
1 cup frozen sliced okra, thawed (I used a small eggplant instead)
3 plum tomatoes, chopped (I used 2 medium on the vine tomatoes)
2 green oinons, sliced, green part only

1. Cook rice using chicken broth instead of water. Let cool completely (I did this earlier in day)
2. Cut chicken thighs into 1 inch piences, and toss with 1 tsp (or more) creole seasoning.
3. Cook chicken in hot oil in large skillet over med heat 3 minutes; add sausage and cook 3-5 minutes until lightly browned. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic, and cook 5 min or til onion is tender. (I cooked the eggplant at the same time --if doing the okra stir in with the rest of the creole seasoning). Increase heat to high and add rice , and cook, stirring constantly 4 min until heated. Stir in tomatoes and sprinkle with green onions. Serve immediately.

(I dumped the sausage vegies into my cold rice and refrigerated. When we were ready for dinner I just nuked individual servings).

No comments: