Thursday, November 20, 2008

mexican corn salad/ hot or cold/taco variation

I like this hot served with a bake potato for lunch, or it is great with taco shells or pita bread (adding a bit of taco sauce is great). I found the basic recipe from a McDougall cook book. You can change the amounts as you like them:

2-4 cups thawed frozen corn kernels
1-- 15 ounce can black beans -drained/rinsed (I like more beans--and kidney and black together too)
1/2 cup chopped green onions (I used regular onions)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (I don't always have these and it is good without)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup salsa
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I probably use a lot less--just sprinkle some)

Just put the amounts you desire--you can't go wrong--I love this hot. If you like this spicier you can add Tabasco sauce. Ps. This is also great for pita bread (pocket bread). You can also mix a bit of this with hummous and place it in the small pita pocket bread...my hubby loves it this way. And it is great with a seasoned baked potato for lunch which I have already stated.

No comments: