Wednesday, February 16, 2011

mini turkey meatball soup



I found this in family circle Mar 2011 issue. I did some changes--I will put both versions. I needed gluten free so I used brown rice instead of couscous etc. This was very tasty!!!! AND pretty quick.

Meatballs:

1 lb ground turkey or chicken (I used turkey)
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs (I used GF rice bread crumbs with Italian seasoning added)
1 large egg
2 scallions, chopped--I just used chopped onion (tab or so0
2 tab Parmesan cheese--I omitted
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves chopped (I just used some dried ones)

Soup:

2 tab canola oil (I used a bit of olive oil)
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
3 medium parsnips peeled and chopped
4 scallions, chopped (I think I omitted--I didn't see this!)
1 large can (48 ounces) light fat-free chicken broth
2 sprigs fresh thyme (I used dried)
1 head escarole, trimmed, cleaned and chopped (I used cabbage--about 1/3 -1/2large head)
1 cup Israeli couscous (I used some brown rice already cooked)
2 tab grated Parmesan (I omitted)
1/2 teas salt (I did to taste)
1/4 teas black pepper (I did to taste)
Paprika (I added a sprinkling of this)


1. Meatballs: In large bowl combine ground chicken or turkey. Add bread crumbs, egg, onion, cheese(if using), and chopped thyme. Stir until evenly blended. With wet hands form into 1 inch balls, about 40 total. Set aside (I made less).

2. Soup: In large stock pot, heat oil over med heat. Add carrots, parsnips and scallions or onion cooking for about 5 minutes (I cooked this separately in an iron skillet adding the veggies to the broth after the balls). (Meanwhile I cooked/ heated the broth separately with the chopped cabbage, cooked rice and thyme).If doing veggies in stock pot then add broth, thyme (and it says to add 4 cups of water but I added none!! And the flavor was great so do what you like here. Bring to simmer with increased heat.

3. Gently drop meatballs into simmering broth mixture(I added cabbage and cooked rice to the broth first and I had to turn the heat up when adding the balls because the balls cooled the broth. I also added the balls before adding my semi cooked carrots and parsnips). Reduce heat to medium and cook 4 minutes. Add escarole in 2 batches IF NOT USING CABBAGE in its place. Add the couscous if not using the rice. Cook 8 more minutes , then stir in Parmesan (if using) , salt and pepper, and some paprika if using.

No comments: