Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cauliflower, egglplant & green bean korma

Another good Indian type dish. DON'T LEAVE out the MINT--it really adds to the flavor!
Serves 4-5 Got this from a cookbook called , Indian.

Ingredients:

generous 1/2 cup cashews
1 & 1/2 TBSP garlic and ginger paste (I just used fresh and added some water)
scant 1 cup water (I used almond milk)
4 tab oil (I used less)
1 large onion
5 green cardamom pods, bruised (I had to use some ground cardamom)
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
generous 1 cup of heavy cream (I used almond milk and none of the above water--coconut milk would be good too!)
5oz/140 g new potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1 & 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
1/2 tsp garam masala
5 oz/140 g eggplant, chopped into 1 inch chunks
5 oz/140 g green beans, chopped into 1 inch lenghs
salt and pepper to taste
chopped fresh mint to garnish

Method

1. Heat pan. Add cashews and stir until they start to brown. Remove from skillet.

2. Put nuts with garlic and ginger paste and 1 tab of water (I used more water since I used fresh
garlic and ginger). Grind in spice grinder or blender and process to a course paste.

3. Place 1/2 the Oil in pan. Brown onion over med high heat until golden.

4. Add the nut paste and stir for 5 minutes.Stir in the cardamom, cinnamon stick and turmeric.

5. Add the cream (or milk and water if using). Bring to boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to very low , cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.

6. Add the potaotes, cauliflower, and garam masala and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the eggplant and green beans and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, or until veggies are tender (I may have turned it down to low, but mine took about 20 minutes!). Check to make sure it isn't sticking--I used a non-stick ceramic lined pan.

7. Taste and add salt and pepper and sprinkle with the MINT!!

1 comment:

uno said...

hmmm yummy .. I really like this food looks so delicious .. .. I want to try it