Wednesday, July 18, 2012

lentil vegetable stew for the Crockpot


I found this here and have copied it--http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-lentil-veggie-stew/    I did make some changes which I will note.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh whole kernel corn
  • 1 large red potato, cut into 1” cubes (I used a large baking potato)
  • 4 carrots, sliced
  • 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced into 1/2” pieces
  • 1 cup (fresh or frozen) green beans, broken into 1” pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • kosher or sea salt to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups tomato juice, low sodium (I used V8)
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium (I used 2 cups made from a good  dried vegetable bullion)
  • 1/2 cup (dry) lentils (I used 3/4 cups but if you use the greater amount then you need a lot more of the liquid)
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce optional (this was my addition--I use a gluten free one)

Directions

Add all the above ingredients, except lentils, to the slow-cooker, stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours. She says to  Add lentils the last half hour of cooking time BUT I added them during the last 2 hours (I also used a mixed kind of lentils). Feel free to add or substitue your favorite vegetables.
Tip: Adjust the liquid for less or more thickness. First, try adding 1 cup each tomato juice and 1 cup vegetable broth. Remember, the slow-cooker does not allow for much evaporation, so the amount of liquid you add initially will be about the same toward the end of the cooking cycle. It's easier to add liquid than to remove it. We like ours fairly juicy so we add the full amount and sometimes even more.

No comments: