Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tofu Cakes (burger like )(Gluten Free)

I found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens and altered it to fit my Gluten free diet.
I like the above Tofu--very creamy and it doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened.
I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free all purpose baking flour instead of regular flour. And we loved Prudhommes Magic seasoning blend blackened redfish magic on these cakes!
We ended up putting them under the broiler for a crispy finish.




1 16 ounce firm tofu (fresh bean curd), drained
1 large carrot, finely shredded (2/3 cup)
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro (WE USED PARSLEY)
2 TBsp snipped fresh mint
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (me Bob's gluten free)
2 Tbsp. canola oil (me olive oil and next time I will just spritz and broil)
2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce (we happened to use regular La Choy is gluten free)
Chef Paul Pudhomme's Magic seasoning Blend Blackened redfish magic OPTIONAL--but we love this!

Optional topping:
1/2 of a cucumber, chpped
1/2 of a mango, seeded, peeled, and chopped
1 recipe Dipping sauce if desired: Stir togeter 4 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp
rice vinegar, and 1 tsp chili garlic sauce.

Makes ten appetizers or you can eat in a meal (I think ours made 8?)

1. In large bowl mash tofu with a fork. Add carrot, green onions, cilantro (or parsley), mint, garlic, flour, and 2 Tbsp. soy sauce. Sprinkle with Paul P. special seasoning if using--we love this and makes a huge difference! Stir to combine.

2. In large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Tightly pack some of tofu mix into a 1/4 cup metal measuring cup. Unmold unto hot skillet (I slipped a knife in to do this on the edge). Cook for 3-4 minutes on a side until brown. (I don't have a nonstick skillet--usually my iron works fine--for this dish however I think I will broil them with a spritz of olive oil--I ended up placing them under broiler to crisp). Note: the second time I just put them on a cookie sheet (non-stick) and spritz a little oil on the sheet and on them. I broiled for 8-10 minutes and they came out great!

3. To serve to tofu cakes with cucumber and mango if desired. Serve with mint and Dipping Sauce OR use Paul Pudhommes special seasoning mentioned above--we prefer this and it is yummy.

PS. For fish eaters, this may be good with Salmon mixed in!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I will SOOO be making this one!
Always love the tofu recipies Kim-thank you!!!