Friday, February 27, 2009

Artichoke Pasta sauce for crock pot

This was a recipe from Better Home and Gardens' online site. This is very tart....if you don't like artichokes don't try it!!!!. I was going to substitute soy milk for the cream and I entirely forgot!! I also think I would like the black olives----so when we have the left overs I will try this. So the picture is minus the cream! This was pretty good for a different dish---however I did have to add a small can of tomato paste to make it thicker--and we liked a bit of sugar to offset the tartness of the Artichokes (however if you use the cream this would probably do the trick.) I did not realize that Artichokes have protein! This is a CROCK POT DISH {yes -we used soy milk instead of cream on the left overs-adding the soy milk helped immensely}

Ingredients

3 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic
2 14-oz. cans artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup whipping cream {soy milk is what we used}
12 oz. dried linguine, fettucine, or other favorite pasta
Sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives and/or sliced pitted ripe olives (optional)
Crumbled feta cheese or finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional) {we used nutritional yeast]
I added a small can of tomato paste
optional --a bit of sugar so it isn't so tart

Directions
1. Drain two of the cans of diced tomatoes (do not drain remaining can). In the prepared cooker (my small one), stir together drained and undrained tomatoes, the artichoke hearts, and garlic. Add one small can of tomato paste if desired.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours. Stir in whipping cream; let stand about 5 minutes to heat through. (add olives etc if desired)

3. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve sauce over hot cooked pasta. If desired, top with olives and/or cheese. Makes 6 servings.

1 comment:

Robin said...

hmmm..artichokes have protein? I'll have to try this one-love my crock pot:)
thanks for sharing!