Thursday, March 25, 2021

Vegan fat free breakfast sausage

Note: good addition is some finely chopped walnuts added to the mixture.


I really like the flavor of these--I accidentally left out the bread crumbs and accidentally put more of the soy sauce so I ended up cooking them 12 minutes before flipping them and then another 5 and it still worked well, but they would probably hold together better with the bread crumbs (or oat flour). I love them by themselves, but also had it in a sandwich with kale, pickled onions, parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers, mustard and a bit of hummus---delicious! 

Ingredients

  • 1 can pinto beans* - drained, reserve liquid
  • 2 tbsp reserved can liquid**
  • 3 tbsp breadcrumbs - or oat flour - more if needed (I forgot and they came out ok ;-) in the photo above)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 tsp soy sauce - or coconut aminos (I accidently did a tablespoon)
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp sage
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • ½ tsp rosemary
  • ¼ tsp thyme
  • pinch of chili flakes (I omit since my stomach doesn't always agree).
  • pepper to taste
Optional: some ground walnuts really add to this recipe 
Prevent your screen from going dark

Instructions

  • Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Pulse together the pinto beans and reserved can liquid. Don't blend into total mush, keep a little texture. 
  • Mix the pinto beans with the remaining ingredients.
  • Form into patties. This recipe will make 6 patties, if each patty is 2 tbsp worth of mixture. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  • Bake for about 16 minutes, flipping the patties over after 8 minutes. Sometimes I cook it a bit longer for the firmness.

No comments: