Monday, June 28, 2010

Lemon-basil Ice (like sherbet)

Today I don't have a good picture! I was in a hurry! This was DELICIOUS--REFRESHING.



Sorry about my photo!! I found this recipe in a Better Homes and Gardens mag. It took me longer to freeze because I didn't put it in a shallow enough pan! Thus the hurry and the bad photo!But iit has a very nice flavor and great for the summer. Very sweet.


prep-15 min, cool: 50 min, Freeze: 4 hours

3 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup slivered fresh basil
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

1. In medium saucepan bring water and sugar to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat; cool slightly (about 20 minutes). Add basil and let stand 30 minutes more. Pour through a fine mesh sieve; discard basil. Stir lemon peel and juice into syrup. Pour into a shallow baking dish. Cover; freeze 2 hours (edges should be firm and center almost firm).

2. Transfer mixture half at a time, to blender. Cover; blend until slushy, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Spoon back into dish spreading evenly. Cover; freeze 2 hours more or until firm.

3. To serve, with a small ice cream scope scrape across surface of mixture. Place scoops in small dishes. Top with lemon slices, fresh mint leaves and /or edible flowers. Makes 8 servings. (I don't really think it makes 8 servings--I will see ) Each serving 49 cal, 0 g fat, o mg hol, 1 mg sodium, 13 g carbo, 0 g fiber, 0 g pro.

No comments: