Friday, June 11, 2010

Persian chickpea/mung bean green salad




My hubby and I really enjoyed this for a refreshingly different salad WITH NICE SEASONINGS. I came across a recipe and altered it up a bit. I will show the recipe and note changes. I couldn't find dried mung beans so I used sprouts and it was good. I also added chickpeas.

Rinse and clean ( original recipe from http://mymommymakesit.blogspot.com/ )
1 cup of dried mung beans
Cook until just tender, drain,and set aside
Here I replaced the dried mung beans with 2 cups mung bean sprouts just cooked and 1 can drained chickpeas

Finely chop
1/2 red onion (I jused way less since my red onion was huge)
2 cloves of garlic
1 inch of fresh ginger (I grated and next time might want a bit more!)
1 jalepeno pepper (I used a tiny amouont chili pepper from jar since had no jalepeno
1/3 cup of chopped parsley


Place the above ingredients into a small bowl and add
1/3 a cup of olive oil (I used 1 tablespoon to reduce fat and added a little water)
Juice of 1 lemon or lime (I had one large lemon)
1 tsp of the sweetner of your choice (I used blue agave )
1/2 tsp of curry powder
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of salt (I used less)
2 tsp of cumin seeds
1 tsp of ground coriander
Mix vigorously

Pour over mung beans and set aside to marinate for at least a one hour

Heap a big pile of lettuce or arugula onto a plate
Add sliced tomatoes
Add several scoops of mung bean mixture
I added Cucumbers

***Garnish with dried cherries, apricots or golden raisins


PS. My hubby added Paul Newman's lowfat sesame ginger dressing--this has GLUTEN so I have to make my own if I want it--there is a recipe for this on this blog found here:
http://nannykimsrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/09/ginger-teriyaki-dressing.html

Eat and Enjoy

Adapted from Silk Road Cooking A Vegetarian Journey by Najmieh Batmangli

No comments: