Saturday, February 9, 2008

BAKED VERMOUTH CHICKEN using rosemary, sage, parsley and thyme (Scarborough chicken from living simply

well this is over half eaten!!--It is one of the most moist baked chickens I have ever had--so I am going to stick with this one!! I forgot to take a picture of it before doing much eating--thus it looks a bit funny in the picture below. This recipe is from Joanne Heim' s Living Simply.
It makes a delicious gravy like sauce for rice. (I used basmati rice.) This is the vermouth I used in the recipe --below

What I did. Take one fresh lemon and squeeze the juice into the good sized roasting chicken's cavity. Take olive oil and sprinkle it all over the outside of the chicken. Then sprinkle salt, pepper, and minced garlic all over. Then sprinkle the fresh (can used dry--but I did fresh)--rosemary, sage, parsley, and thyme over the chicken. I put a little of the sage inside the cavity too. Pour the bottle of Vermouth (less than 2 cups) into the pan. Bake at 350 for about 1 and 1/2 hours until the temperature reaches the correct point on thermometer. Baste off and on. When Chicken was brown I covered it for the last 1/2 hour with a crack left for venting. I used my little roasting pan.
Wonderful flavor and very moist!

No comments: