Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dirty Rice

I got this recipe from fatfreevegan.com I like a rice to serve as a side dish with my bean tacos--so this is it. I like this with some dashes of Ortego Taco sauce.

1 large onion chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (I should have chopped mine smaller, as you can see!)
2 ribs of celery chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 cup of dry brown rice
2 and 1/2 cups of broth (I used home made vegetable broth)
1 tsp rubbed thyme (I used 1/8tsp ground thyme and almost a tsp of regular thyme)
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
1/4 tsp cayenne (or chipotle (?)chili powder)--I just used a sprinkle--not sure how hot I wanted it
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
2 Tab. dried parsley (or 4 Tab. fresh)
1/2 tsp oregano
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke (optional) OR Ortego taco sauce

Spray iron skillet with oil (if need to). Cook onions about 5 minutes until they just start to brown. Add chopped pepper and celery. Cook 5 minutes more or until onions are evenly brown. Add rice and garlic and cook 2 more minutes.

Transfer to a pot. Add rest of ingredients and cook until done and until water is absorbed (45-55 minutes)


No comments: