Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cajun skillet bean/potato casserole



cajun-skillet-bean-casserole recipe

This was quite delicious and I got it from fatfree.com . I copied and pasted the recipe below. I love the garlic-y taste of the potaotes and the flavor filled combo of the blackeyed peas. The top photo was taken with the covers on because I was going to refrigerate it and cook it uncovered later in the day. QUITE GOOD!!


Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 07:19:26 -0500
From: Richard and Julia (richjulia@nations.net)

Everybody has got to try this recipe. It is my new favorite meal. It's
excellent for impressing SAD eaters.

Cajun Skillet Bean Casserole

1 chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 celery stalk, chopped (optional-My husband doesn't like it. I do.)
2 green bell peppers
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 pinch cayenne (optional-I don't like it. My husband does!)
1 pinch sea salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 can whole, peeled tomatoes, chopped including juice
1 Tbls sugar
1 Tbls dijon mustard (Must use DIJON mustard)
1.5 to 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1 lg head garlic, horizontally split in half
4 med potatoes
soy milk (or skim milk or whatever)
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Preheat oven 350. I always drizzle garlic with a tiny bit of oil to
keep it from burning. I know this is a no-no for this list, but it
such a small amount it's like using cooking spray. Cover tightly with
foil and bake 30-40 min. Let cool until easy to handle (can be done a
day before). Squeeze out garlic. This is your flavor and butter
substitute.

Cover potatoes with water (peeled and chopped--however many potatoes
you'd like) and bring to a boil. Cook 20-30 mins until fork
tender. Drain, reserving water. Mash potatoes with soy milk and
garlic, adding enough potato water back in to bring it to desired
consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Sautee onions and garlic until soft, then do the same with the celery
and bell peppers. Add the spices and cook until the onions are
golden. Add all other ingredients except the peas and simmer for 5
minutes, covered.

Add the peas and cook until the peas are heated.

Pour your bean mixture in the bottom of a bread loaf pan. Spoon mashed
potatoes on top. Bake at 400 deg for 15 minutes.

This is my favorite meal. You can make the beans and potatoes
separately if you like. I just happened to make these two together
one day. When the juices mingled I was in heaven, so I decided to
make a casserole out of it.

kwvegan vegan

No comments: