Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Baked pasta with summer vegetables


 We love this--and really love the added eggplant

Eowyn gave me this and this is the original recipe from her---with dairy. I will tell what I did to alter it after giving the original:


Baked Pasta with Summer Veggies


1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 red bell peppers, sliced
2 zucchini, sliced (I used more squash- 2 zucchini, 2 yellow squash, 1 eggplant)
2 T olive oil
1 lb. penne pasta
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese (nannykim-I used some tofu--see below)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan plus an additional 1/2 cup (nannykim-I omitted)
pinch of nutmeg (1/8 tsp)
3 Tomatoes, chopped (I just use those jumbo cutting tomatoes that are the cheapest)
1 tsp. dried oregano (I just sprinkle what I think looks good)
1/2 lb. mozzarella, cubed (I just used shredded) (nannykim omitted)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup bread crumbs (Italian seasoned) (nannykim--rice bread crumbs)


1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Cook pasta about 2 minutes short of package directions (it should be a bit firm).

3. Toss onion, garlic, peppers, and squash in a large bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Place vegetables on a baking sheet (I use the bottom of a roasting pan and also spray the pan) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until tender.


4. Mix ricotta, 1/4 c. parmesean, mozzarella, oregano and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Gently mix everything together (cooked pasta, veggies, tomatoes, and cheese mix). Pour into baking dish. SEE BELOW IN RED

5. Sprinkle top with breadcrumbs and remaining parmesan. Bake 20 min (covered 10-15 min and uncovered for last 5-10 min). However, if you make this ahead and either freeze or refrigerate it, baking time will probably increase to 30-40 minutes.

ME: took out the cheese. Used about 1/4 of a package of tofu and blended it with some oregano, basiln pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper, a dash of red wine and a bit of nutritional yeast---all according to taste. I just used this in place of the ricotta--but I did not use the equivalent measure to the ricotta. (I originally blended up 1/2 the tofu---but that was too much so I used just about 1/2 of the 1/2) If desired you can mix a bit of spinach in the tofu.

I added some basil pesto also!

I did use gluten free ziti and rice bread crumbs for the top.

1 comment:

Chip said...

Yumm... I think I may make this tomorrow.