Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pumpkin Biscuits--gluten free

I got this recipe online and make reference to whom it belongs ;-). They are one of my favorite gluten free snacks. These look dry but they are NOT!! They are moist . I think next time I will add a bit of ginger and less cloves than I did put in them. Ps. Some people do not realize that buckwheat is gluten free. I love these--the second time I used a pinch of allspice instead of the cloves. I like allspice better!





http://cindalouskitchenblues.blogspot.com/2007/09/pumpkin-spice-biscuits-vegan.html NOTE": I usually double this recipe--if I double it it makes about 9 normal size biscuits



1/2 c. brown rice flour
1/4 c. buckwheat flour
dash sea salt
1 T. aluminum free baking powder
heaping 1/4 c. raw canned pumpkin
1 t. vanilla
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
4 T. water

Seasonings:
liberal T. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
3-4 cloves (I gave a pinch--the second time I did a pinch of allspice--great!) Note: I prefer allspice.

For sweet biscuits, add:
2 T. natural brown sugar (I DEFINITELY ADD THE SUGAR!!! and I like it with additional honey when serving or sugar I have sprinkled on the top)



Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a large cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix in pumpkin and water until a thick, pasty dough forms. Make biscuit-balls by rolling the dough into circles between your palms. Drop the biscuits onto the cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.

6 comments:

Robin said...

whatcha doin with the bag of marshmallows in the background? :)
Another inspiring recipe Kim, if theyre as good as the muffins from this time last year Im sure theyre yummy!

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Oh YUM! These look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing and have a wonderful day!!! Coralie

Happy Hermit (happilyhiddenhermit@gmail.com) said...

ohh , you know when I'm bad don't you. I had no idea about the buckwheat , I will have to make this !! Belive me you will see it.

Anonymous said...

thank you Robin for giving me a good laugh this morning with your comment about the marshmellows in the background of the photo. I really needed a laugh in my life and did not even know it.

funnyfacejess said...

Made these and they came out tasting like baking powder. I seem to run into this problem a lot with GF biscuit recipes. Guess I'll decrease it next time? Anyone else have this problem?

nannykim said...

Lalaith, I have not noticed this, but I do add sugar and often serve with honey. The type of spices you use can affect the taste. I prefer the allspice to the straight cloves.