Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Vegetarian Tikka Masala



I love Cabbage/potato dishes with lots of interesting seasonings and coconut milk. Serve this on rice--very nice flavors! Yummy.


Vegetarian Tikka Masala (Gluten-Free) From my celiac disease letter http://www.celiac.com/articles/22195/1/Vegetarian-Tikka-Masala-Gluten-Free/Page1.html(serves four

Ingredients:

Masala Paste:

2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder ( I used less than 1/4, I don't want to be on FIRE)
1 tablespoo paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
Everything Else:

4 tablespoons olive oil (I just spritz my iron skillet , large skillet)
5 cardamom pods (I just sprinkled a bit of ground cardamon on the onions)
1 cinnamon stick (I just sprinkled a bit o cinnamon on the onions)
1 ½ sweet onions, finely diced
1 large tomato, finely diced
½ cup water
himalayan or sea salt to taste (used regular)
2 medium russet potatoes, diced
½ green cabbage, sliced into thin strips
2 cups frozen or fresh peas
coconut milk (I used the lite kind)

rice (Basmati or Jasmine)

To Make:

Mix all of the ingredients for the Masala Paste together.

Start cooking the rice cooking according to the package instructions.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods for just a few seconds to add fragrance to the oil, then remove them. Careful not to leave them too long or it will overwhelm the flavor of your masala.(me--just sprinkled onions with cinnamon on cardamom)
Add the onions and stir until they are browned.

Add the masala paste and stir for a minute, then add the tomato and stir for another minute, then add the water and bring it to a simmer.
Add Salt to taste.

Add the chopped potatoes, cabbage, and peas (I added frozen peas after everything was done cookiing since I like them NOT overcooked). Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes and cabbage are tender and a fork can slide easily through the potato pieces.

Add coconut milk to taste--the coconut milk will create a sauce . Note: you can substitute yogurt for coconut milk if you like.
Serve over aromatic Basmati rice or rice of your choice. Can add some peanuts when serving, or some sour cream if you partake.

No comments: