Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lentil and Kale soup

Don't mind the picture--I was putting away left overs and realized I needed to take a picture. My daughter got the recipe from a parenting site online. I love this tasty dish and I love Kale!!
This is a quick prep and fast cooking dish (when compared to other bean type dishes! Ha).




PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 55 minutes
SERVES: 6
2 tsp canola oil (I omitted)
1 small onion, chopped (I used a medium-large)
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz green or brown lentils
12 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt (my broth was salty so I omitted)
8 cups chopped kale leaves (about 6 oz)
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest (I omitted but would be good).
PER SERVING: 410 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated)--not so if you don't use the oil, 600 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol

I placed the onions in my iron skillet which needs no oil--just a spritz of pam. I browned the onions and then added the carrots, celery and garlic cooking for a few more minutes. Then I dumped all of this and all of the ingredients into a huge pot except for the lemon juice and zest. I cooked for 55 minutes. Then when serving I added the lemon juice to the bowls of those who desired it (I like it with the lemon!--)

1 comment:

Mrs. Sewell said...

Oh this looks yummy! I will definitely have to make this!

God Bless